Hello, Bogey Bears! Welcome to another edition of the Bogey Bear Blog, where we share our thoughts on everything golf-related. Today, we want to talk about a hot topic that has been making headlines in the golf world: LIV Golf.
LIV Golf is a new professional golf circuit that is financially backed by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund. It aims to rival the PGA Tour and the DP World Tour by offering huge prize money and attracting top players. LIV Golf has already signed up 17 players, including Dustin Johnson, Brooks Koepka, Justin Rose and Sergio Garcia1.
However, LIV Golf has also faced a lot of controversy and criticism from various golf authorities and fans. The PGA Tour and the DP World Tour have imposed sanctions on the LIV players, such as fines, suspensions and loss of membership. The U.S. Department of Justice is also investigating former President Donald Trump’s ties to LIV Golf amid a larger probe into his business dealings2. Many people have also questioned the ethics and motives of LIV Golf, given Saudi Arabia’s human rights record and its involvement in the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
So, what does this mean for the future of golf? Well, it’s hard to say for sure, but we have some opinions. Here are some pros and cons of LIV Golf that we think are worth considering:
- LIV Golf could provide more opportunities and incentives for golfers to compete at the highest level. With more money and exposure, LIV Golf could attract more talent and diversity to the game.
- LIV Golf could also create more excitement and interest for golf fans. With more events, more venues and more rivalries, LIV Golf could offer more entertainment and drama to the sport.
- LIV Golf could also challenge the status quo and push for innovation and improvement in golf. With more competition and pressure, LIV Golf could force the PGA Tour and the DP World Tour to rethink their strategies and policies.
- LIV Golf could also create more division and conflict in golf. With more loyalty and resentment, LIV Golf could undermine the unity and harmony of the golf community.
- LIV Golf could also compromise the integrity and values of golf. With more money and influence, LIV Golf could tempt players to prioritize profit over passion and principles.
- LIV Golf could also endanger the future of major championships and other traditional events. With more scheduling conflicts and eligibility issues, LIV Golf could reduce the participation and prestige of these events.
LIV Golf is not going away anytime soon. In fact, it is planning to evolve into a league format in 2023 with a 14-event schedule and 48 contracted players3. It will also implement a promotion and relegation system, featuring a rankings list and a four-player relegation out of the 48 contracted players3.
LIV Golf has already completed five events in 2023, with five different winners: Charles Howell III (Mayakoba), Danny Lee (Tucson), Brooks Koepka (Orlando), Talor Gooch (Singapore) and Sergio Garcia (Tulsa)415. The next event will be held in Las Vegas on May 18-20 at Shadow Creek Golf Course4.
The current standings show that RangeGoats GC is leading the team competition with 92 points, followed by 4Aces GC with 73 points4. In the individual rankings, Talor Gooch is on top with -8 points, followed by Erik van Rooyen with -7 points4.
As Bogey Bears, we love golf and we want to see it grow and thrive. We are not here to take sides or judge anyone’s choices. We are here to enjoy the game and have fun with our fellow golfers. We respect all players who play with passion and integrity, regardless of which tour they play on. We hope that LIV Golf will bring more positive than negative outcomes for golf, but we also hope that it will not forget the history and traditions that make golf so special.
What do you think about LIV Golf? Do you support it or oppose it? Do you think it will succeed or fail? Let us know in the comments below or on our social media channels. And don’t forget to check out our awesome apparel and accessories at bogeybearclub.com!
Until next time, keep swinging hard and having fun!